Our Consultants are experts in the field of acne, with many years of experience they are finally able to give many patients freedom from this problematic condition. Consultations are available with all our Consultant Dermatologist.
Acne is a condition that can effect anyone from any walk of life. It is most prevalent in those aged between 16 and 18, but can begin as early as 10 and can continue until people are into their 30s. When a few adolescent spots progress into something more serious or extends into adulthood, then treatment from our specialists would be the next step. The causes of acne are normally due to hormones and over growth of the skin cells at the surface of the skin.Typical skin changes include a greasy skin (seborrhoea), come dones (blackheads and whiteheads ), and inflammatory spots (pustules). Persistent severe inflammation can lead to scarring and small pits. Your GP will have tried a few different options for your skin, such as topical cleansers, topical antibiotics and oral antibiotic medicines. They may have even tried the oral contraceptive pill (Dianette). If these options fail then most will turn to our Consultants for the next stage of treatment.
Specialist Therapies at our clinics
Isotretinoin is called a retinoid and works by stopping excess growth of the skin surface cells, which helps unblock pores and stop inflammation. This has a cure rate of 85% with a 4-6 month course. The side effects are mainly produced due to a reduction in grease production which leads to dry lips, dry eyes and dry patches of skin on the body. Occasionally, muscle aches can be experienced and there can be a small risk of mood disturbance. The majority of patients despite the side effects continue with the treatment due to the positive effect the treatment has on the acne. Women of child bearing age must use strict contraception throughout treatment and may need monitoring throughout treatment. Isotretinion is the most effective treatment for acne, but can only be prescribed by a consultant dermatologist.
Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) Therapy
Acne can be improved through Intense Pulsed Light. The IPL travels deep into the skin to switch off inflammation and improve redness. We recommend 3-4 sessions of treatment at 4 weekly intervals. IPL is available at Brighton, Hove and Worthing.
Chemical Peels (Tricholoacetic / Jessners Solution)
For superficial acne scaring and pigment disturbance a treatment from our range of chemical peels may be appropriate. Dr Shergill is highly specialised in this field. We would normally expect patients to book consultation prior to this treatment to ensure it is right for them and to discuss any potential risks. Medical chemical peeling is far deeper than that offered by a beautician or other therapist. Our process can cause shedding of the skin for 5-7 days.
Treatments for Acne Scarring
Anti-scarring can be difficult to treat but we have several procedures that are available to patients. All anti-scarring treatments will start with a consultation with the dermatologist. This will allow the consultant to see which procedure will be best for you and discuss other elements such as your expectations from the treatment. The different procedures include:
1. Laser skin (CO2) – This is our most modern treatment for acne scarring and is particularly good as it is able to penetrate deep into the skin and is highly accurate.
2. Laser skin (IPL) – IPL works by promoting collagen synthesis in the skin and treating redness.
3. Chemical Peel – A treatment that removes the top layers of your skin using a chemical solution. The skin heals to form a new top layer, which is smoother and brighter than before.
4. Micro-needling – The treatment works by using micro needles to puncture the skin; this allows for the skin to start the healing process by producing collagen which makes the skin look plump and enhances the blood supply.
5. Microdermabrasion – This removes the surface skin layers and helps promote re-modelling. It is usually combined with retinoids to maximise results. The procedure uses tiny crystals to physically remove the cells and clean pores.
Please contact us for any further information or to book a consultation with our skin specialists. GP referral letters are only required if you are planning to claim any consultation fees from your private medical insurance company.
Please note few insurance policies will cover you for medication.